Falling behind with paperwork is really easy; getting up to date again can be very difficult. To avoid slipping into bad habits we recommend you writing up the business records at least monthly.
If you’ve asked us to prepare your records then we’ll need you to post to us:
- List of sales invoices and credit notes raised (include copies of the invoices and credit notes).
- List of day-to-day expenses paid personally (with receipts).
- List of bank payments (including copies of any invoices paid through the company bank account).
- Copies of business bank statements.
- Copies of correspondence from HMRC and Companies House.
If you’d also like us to submit payments for VAT or PAYE then we’ll also need cheques made payable to HMRC – never, ever leave the “payee” blank.
There’s a basic excel sheet available in our download area suitable for most businesses to summarise transactions.
If you email the transaction list to your accounts team (and send the hard copies by post) it allows them to make a start sooner. Once we’ve checked everything and prepared all the bookkeeping we’ll call to run through the accounts and see if there’s anything else you need.